Jamaicans throughout Canada and around the world are gearing up to step up the celebration of the Island’s 60th anniversary of Independence on Saturday, August 6, 2022.
The celebrations are already underway in Canada, under the Jamaica 60 theme “Reigniting a Nation for Greatness,” with excitement culminating on Independence Day, August 6th.
According to Canada’s 2016 Census, there are more than 300,000 Jamaican Canadians living in the country. Jamaica 60 events in Canada will be especially meaningful for this group. However, any friend of Jamaica can enjoy celebrating the Jamaican culture and heritage at one of the following signature events:
- Bob Marley One Love Experience in Toronto (extended until September 5): This North American premiere of the Bob Marley One Love Experience showcases never-before-seen photographs and memorabilia and immerses Marley fans in a journey through his life, passions, influences and enduring legacy.
- Jamaica Lights (August 6): Canadian landmarks from coast to coast will illuminate in Jamaican flag colours on August 6. Locations confirmed to illuminate include Niagara Falls, Ottawa’s ByWard Market, Halifax City Hall, the Clock Tower at Mississauga Civic Centre, Brampton City Hall Clock Tower and Science World in Vancouver. Edmonton’s High-Level Bridge will be illuminated on August 8.
- Jamaica 60 flag raising ceremonies: Flag raising ceremonies in celebration of Jamaica 60 will take place at City Halls across the Greater Toronto Area – Toronto City Hall (July 31), Markham (August 5), Mississauga (August 5), Oshawa (August 5), London (August 5), Brampton (August 6) and Hamilton City Hall (August 7).
- Jamaican Canadian Association’s Annual Jamaica Independence and Anniversary Gala (August 13): The Jamaican Canadian Association will hold their annual independence gala event in Toronto.
- Film screenings of African Redemption: The Life and Legacy of Marcus Garvey (August 13 and 14): These screenings will be held at select locations in Toronto and Brampton.
- Flow 98.7 FM Fly Away to Jamaica (August 14 – 21): Flow 98.7 listeners are invited to join show hosts Red and Spex Da Boss as they broadcast their Morning Flava and Traffic Flow shows live from Jamaica.
- Falla Fashun Fashion Show (August 21): Flair Management will host a fashion show at the Jamaica Canadian Association in Toronto.
- Sinting Fest on Eglinton West (August 26 – 28): Sinting Fest will take place for three days in August and is designed to help revitalize Toronto’s Little Jamaica neighbourhood.
- Helping Hands Jamaica Foundation’s Jamrock Annual Gala (October 21):This annual gala will be held at Palais Royale in Toronto. Proceeds will benefit Jamaican children by providing resources for a better future and education.
- The Jamaican Canadian Association in Alberta has several events planned to commemorate the Jamaica 60th Independence celebration. A Civic Ceremony will be held on Friday, August 5th from 6 PM to 8 PM at the JCAA building. A Cultural and Heritage Exhibit is planned for Saturday, August 6th from noon to 4 PM at the JCAA building. There will be an Independence Dance on Saturday, August 6th at 9 PM at the JCAA building. A Church Service will be held on August 7th at 10 AM. Berean Church of God International 32 Westwinds Crescent NE #307.
- There are several events planned by the Jamaican Canadian Association in Montreal to commemorate Jamaica 60th Independence. An Independence barbecue will be held on Saturday, August 6th from 12 PM to 8 PM at the Association. There will be an Independence Church Service on Sunday, August 7th under the distinguish patronage of the honorary Consul for Jamaica. A gospel show will be held on Sunday, August 7th at 7 PM at the association, featuring artists backed by the Blessed Band.
For more information on these and other local Jamaica 60 events, visit the Jamaica60TO website at www.jamaica60to.com